Sunday, May 2, 2010

Go Mavs...oh wait.

I have not blogged in awhile, and I think I say that every time I actually do blog. oops. Instead of writing several blogs about my past week and a half, I decided to write the top eight events that occurred.

1) When I came back back after Easter, I got the typical fever, nose, throat combo for a couple of weeks. I kept a toilet paper roll in me and Johan's class because my nose was never ending (sorry tmi, but we have all had this). Finally one day last week, when I was on my second roll, Johan grabbed the toilet paper from me and wrapped it around my head. I poked in two holes for my eyes and one for my mouth. I could not just stop there. I started chasing my students, growling, and tickling the ones I caught. Johan and I obviously get a lot done in our class.
2) Boo Mavs. Once again disappointed.
3) For our Bible lesson on Thursday, we talked to our students about how we can help our community. We decided, as examples of love, we should go give hugs around the school. Johan and I took our students from room to room, to other staff, and then they gave us hugs. Super precious, and well, I lovvvve hugs from my kids so I didn't mind. I know Nelisa was on cloud nine during this. She is probably the biggest hugger in our school, besides Regina of course.
4) Out of the older kids in Chichigua, Ernesto is by far my favorite. He is really shy but so sweet to us. He came by the school last week to drop something off, and Robin noticed that his shoes that he always wears were too small for him. I then tried to give him my old tenni's, but they also did not fit. Just so you know, Makarios does not like giving a bunch of hand outs. We are all about building relationships and not just walking up to a poor village, handing out free stuff, and leaving. Ernesto is someone we have known for awhile, and on his own, he has made me four rings and a bracelet, and same for Robin so in return we went to the store and bought him some new tenni's. We went to Chigs on Thursday and gave them to him. He had the biggest smile on his face, of course got embarrassed, said thank you, and walked into his room where we chased him down and gave him a big hug. Love that boy.

5) On Friday we took all of the students to the park. This was great for me because I had a lonnnng night on Thursday night so nice lil break. Little did I know the humorous events that were to follow that day. I will just write a couple...We brought water to the park because it was hot outside, and the kids start complaining about how thirsty they are. Johan and I were filling the cups and passing them out to the kids, and I gave a cup to Anthony who is one of our craziest boys in the school, silly and loves to joke around. He tried to give me his cup back, but it still had some water in it so I told him to drink it all. Apparently, he either couldn't or tried to drink it too fast because it went down the wrong pipe and came back out of his mouth alllll over me. Awesome. Secondly, Chris was driving me and Lauren's class back, with them sitting in the back of the truck while Lauren and I sit on the sides to make sure they all stayed seated. As we were driving, I saw these boys screaming and running, and the next thing I know my face was getting hit, by bees!!! Lauren and I at the same time realized that they were bees and both started screaming and flailing our arms everywhere. The bees were swarming us and our kids, and that was why those boys were running because they had apparently hit down a bee hive. We eventually drove far enough from them, and gracias a Dios, only one girl was stung because she saw a bee stuck in another girl's fro hair and swatted it out. My worst nightmare.

6) Saturday for Domincan Labor Day we went to the river in Los Ciruellos. It was perfect. The water felt great, some other Domincans were playing music for everyone, I got to jump off the rock while doing some awesome cheerleading moves, and our construction workers for Makarios came and cooked Sancocho for everyone.
7) Last night the animal kingdom decided to nest in our apartment. I was washing my dishes when I heard Ashley scream. Robin then also screamed, and I ran over and screamed myself. A huge nasty looking centipede was chillin by Ashley's door. We were weinies and yelled for Ada our neighbor to come help us kill it, and in true Dominican fashion he stood there saying, "Yeah, that is dangerous, very dangerous. It moves fast. Very dangerous." Then sweeps it outside with the mop, kills it, and says, "That was nothing. Do not worry." hmm. After this, I killed a spider trying to come into our apartment. And you would think it would all be over at this point (not counting the fact that I have a hand length sized lizard in my room with babies). We come back inside, get settled, and then I look at the wall in the living room where an army of ants is moving from one side of the room to the other. Gross.

8) Tonight Robin, Ashley, and I are going to play bingo with our neighbor Gloria (Ada's mom). She is pretty much awesome and loves us so she invited us to come with her tonight. It is only a mere 10 pesos, in other words if I win, I will probably get a good 50 pesos in return haha. Should be interesting :). I will definitely let you know how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment