Monday, May 17, 2010

Dominicanos son locos.

The more I live here, the more I get excited and think it is fun doing the smallest Dominican things. For example, when you are debating whether you should go to bed and get some good sleep, but how many lives do you live, and I will never forget this moment so heck why not?! Or I could get some blogging and emails done, but will I ever be able to have the chance to do that again, absolutely not, I'm in! Sounds cheesy, but we have all had those moments.

A few Sunday nights ago, my neighbor asked us if we wanted to play bingo. Of course! I lovvve bingo. Robin, Ashley, Rachel, and I met Gloria to walk where we would play...at some kind of bingo hall you would think or something along those lines. No way. We walked up to some lady's house where they pulled out a few tables and some chairs, passed out juice, your bingo card, and tiny rocks to place over the numbers. Even though the bingo cards were the same as state's ones, you only had to get four in a row, ya I don't know. Anyways, we were addicted to this 10 peso a game night out with the older ladies of Montellano, and Ashley actually won. All that to say, we will be going again.

The past couple of months maybe of Sunday nights, there have been "professional" games of basketball in Puerto Plata (the place I blogged about in November where I got to play on Wilson's team). We have gone to a couple of games, but now they are in the playoffs so we went last Sunday, which ended up with me having a crush on number once (11), Robin being a volunteer during the half time show which was a (I am almost positive) drugged up man lighting himself on fire several times in a tarzan type leopard skirt, and last of all taking a picture with the only guy who was American, was the best out there, and was on the winning team. Even though it looked like high school basketball, I felt like a piece of me came back. Love me some basketball.
Elections.
http://robininks.blogspot.com/2010/05/politics.html
That will give you a bit of what has been going on. Last night they finally announced the winner of the elections in our town so in true Dominican fashion, they had to have one last parade. The whole time I have been here for these, I have regretted not joining in one just for the heck of it. I obviously do not care about voting, but the parades looked like something I should do at least once while I am here. Johan drove by last night, dancing and yelling because he said his person won (even though I think he voted for the other haha) so Ashley and I hopped on his moto with him and joined the parade around town which consisted of one Mack truck, too many motos, and hundreds of people blowing horns, some probably slightly intoxicated. We got back from the parade, and it was one of those things where you feel like it was all a dream. And then I woke up to reality when a (in Robins words) "prehistoric" sized cucaracha was in our kitchen. No joke, it was the biggest one I have ever seen, on steroids for sure. I am numb to roaches now so I grabbed the broom to sweep it outside while Ashley sprayed, and voila job done. Pics below of it, comparing it to Robin's toe.

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know I wax nostalgic for the DR via your blog... though not so much for the cockroaches, even if they bring their own memories with them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got nauseous...I think I need to break from your blog for a while.

    ReplyDelete