Thursday, March 4, 2010

I am so Dominicana...

...ya right. But no joke, sometimes it just happens.

Almost everyone here drives a moto (like a motorcyle). I am a bit late in talking about this, but maybe because I wondered if my mom would read it and freak out. Last Thursday I went to Caraballo to talk to the lady who use to take care of Marleini and Wilson. Johan took me on his moto, and on the way back he stopped on the road and told me to take over. The road from Caraballo to Pancho Mateo is a long dirt road surrounded on both sides by cane fields...in other words, it is pretty much deserted. Of course I freaked out and told him no, but he is Johan so he kept insisting. Well, I did it. I scooted to the front, hit the gearshift with my left foot, and then accelerated (all with the help of Johan). So when you accelerate, it either goes smoothly or you jerk, right? Well I popped a wheelie and was driving at the same time. haha. It was hilarious! I could not stop laughing but would not let go of the accelerator so we were swerving side to side, like when you first ride a bike and cannot ride it straight. I had to eventually stop because we were both laughing too hard, and I could not focus. After we stopped laughing, I tried again and actually drove for awhile. Johan of course had to help steer for a few seconds here and there so we would not fall off the road. Success...or in my mind it was, seeing how I can be such a weenie sometimes.

Next on the list...I learned how to dance bachata and merengue. I have always thought I could not dance worth anything, but I actually did ok. I did much better dancing salsa (thank you random Tridelta meeting when we learned how to salsa).

Last but not least. My spanish. It still is not great, but I am trying. Robin is teaching me, and it helps so much seeing it visually. As you know from my last blog, I am co-teaching with Johan. I get to hear Dominican spanish on a daily basis. If you do not know anything about spanish here, well, it is ghetto, and they call it Dominican not spanish. Anyways, today I called a kid over, and Johan looked at me and said, "Whoa, you sounded so Dominican." Awesome. Not only did I get complimented for my accent, I got complimented for my Dominican, haha. One step closer to being a Dominicana :)

No comments:

Post a Comment