Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Yes, I do live here.

To show you how ridiculous this country I live in is, I am going to share a lil story with you...

Last night I was outside talking to my friend Benjamin in front of our neighbor's house. Occasionally at night, there is a bat that flies back and forth between my apartment and their house. As I was talking to him, the bat flew right behind his back, and I freaked out, naturally. But that isn't even the best part. Benjamin then proceeded to tell me that bats can smoke. I was thoroughly confused, thinking maybe he is trying to tell me a joke in English or maybe I am missing something. I said, "Bats? Like the animal?" "Yes, the animal. They can smoke cigarettes." I then begin to call him a liar, but then Gloria came up and said he was telling the truth, then Tanya, then Johan today. Benjamin wanted to make it more interesting so he said if he was lying, he would make me one of his popular shakes, and if I was wrong, then I would have to make him brownies from scratch. At the end of the night last night, I called them all liars, said they were crazy, and went to bed knowing there is no way bats can smoke cigarettes. Dominicanos son locos.

When I told Johan at school today what happened with his brother, he told me Benjamin was right. He said people here capture the bats (super smart huh...), put the cigarette in the mouth of the bat, and it smokes it. Apparently someone did it here in Montellano. Because Johan is my brother, I decided to argue with him more about it and tell him he was lying (all out of fun of course).

Benjamin came over tonight asking for his brownies, and I said he had no proof...

Dang it.

Benjamin is now eating some peanut butter chocolate brownies.

1 comment: