Saturday, January 16, 2010

Haiti

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end... I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that men will revere him." Ecclesiastes 3: 11, 14

As you all know, it started Tuesday. I was sitting in my living room typing an email when the futon I was sitting on started swaying side to side. I have never been in an earthquake so I had no idea what was going on until I looked up at Cara, who immediately said in her tranquilo Cara voice, "Um, I think it's an earthquake." (Not going to lie, I at first thought it was an animal under my futon, and then I thought maybe I am dizzy...don't make fun. An animal being in my living room is possible seeing that we have geese, chickens, dogs, and cows among other animals as neighbors.) It was either Saved by the Bell or Fresh Prince when there was an earthquake, and they were told to stand under the door frames. Leave it to me to follow a sitcom I was obsessed with when I was little...in other words, I was immediately under the door frame along with Ashley who followed my role. Haha oh man, no one should ever follow my lead. Anyways, when it ended, we were all laughing and had an adrenaline rush, until, not even ten minutes later Cara saw the real news about the epicenter being in Haiti. After some time, we started to see the damage done and lives ended by the earthquake. I would be lying if I said this week has been fine since I am not directly in Haiti (by the way, if you did not already know, we are attached), but it has been very difficult. We know families who have family members living over there and do not know if they are okay. Secondly, since I am so close to Haiti, I feel the need to rush out of my door and go help. Now I obviously know that is not smart and is an emotional decision, but it has been something we all have felt. Our team along with other friends spent Wednesday praying for the people of Haiti. Schools were closed around the country, and our hearts were anxious so we knew we needed to stop and pray.."Be still and know that I am God" is what I have to keep telling myself. As of now, we have a few people taking supplies to the border today, but Makarios as a whole is trying to figure out the best way we can help and be smart about staying safe and prepared. I ask that you pray for patience for us because I know anxiety can get the best of me when I feel the need to just go do something without waiting on the Lord's timing. My heart has been very heavy this week for the Haitian people. I picture in my head the children who are now orphans and homeless, and my heart hurts. I sit not knowing where to even begin in praying but know ultimately God is in control. I know some of you reading this may have been affected by the earthquake, either knowing someone over there helping, someone who died, and so on, and I am sorry for the stress or sadness you may be feeling. Know that I am praying for you and continually for the people of Haiti and those helping over there as I also have friends who are helping. Love you all and am thankful I can even sit here and write this to you.

Si Dios quiere, I will keep you posted whenever we decide how/when we are going to go over and help. I, along with my team, will need your prayers for safety and wisdom. Also, you can go to the Makarios website and donate money for supplies. We have already sent a team of Dominicans we know from here, and today several from my team were chosen to deliver supplies to the border. http://makariosinternational.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment