Friday, January 23, 2009

Prospekts March/poppyfields.Coldplay






Rainy season...all I can think in my head is "rain, rain go away. come again another day." It has been raining here nonstop, which I have been told is nice because after rainy season is over, you would do anything for a drop of rain...in other words it's blazin. The funny part about it all is that the people here are scared of the rain. When you step into a gua gua with an umbrella, people steer clear from the umbrella knowing water will drop off of it, or when you see the men on motoconchos driving, the driver is holding an umbrella while driving, safe. It is quite humorous! If it is raining without ceasing, barely any students come to the preschool because the parents think their children are going to get sick. On Wednesday, we only had a little group of them come so we did fun activities like fingerpainting (pic of Ambiolix...told him to smile, and he gave me a huge cheesy smile) and let them go early.

We all left Tuesday to go to the city Santiago. Tuesday night, the moment I did not think would happen till I went home, well, actually happened. We ate mexi food :). Of course it was not the exact same, but it was enough to fill the craving I have had since I got here, seeing that I eat mexi food at least three times a week probably more. If you could have only seen the smiles on me and Katy's faces when we were told that we would be eating at a mexi restaurant. We ordered queso curious to see what would come out, which ended up being a big plate of chips with carnival type cheese on top...no bueno, so I settled for the guacomole. I ordered chicken tacos and of course had Katy tell the girl in Spanish only chicken and cheese, no lettuce or all the rest of the nast toppings. So what do you think happened...tortilla, lettuce, chicken, cheese, and sour cream. If any of the people I worked with truly did not understand how picky I am, they definitely saw it at that moment. I slid everything off of the tort and picked out the chicken and cheese that did not have anything touching it. Shameful I know...

Wednesday morning, we woke up early and drove up a mountain to Jarbacoa. The scenery surrounding the mountain was other mountains and was absolutely gorgeous. We went to our positive discipline seminar at a school in Jarbacoa called Doulos Discovery School. Ok so this school was amazing...several buildings, a pond area, amphitheater, basketball court, cute outside cafeteria area, must I go on...the work that the Lord has done there is amazing, and the people that work there were very hospitable. If you are bilingual and want to teach in a foreign country, I would highly suggest trying to teach there.

Thursday was my wonderful roomie Katy's birthday (Ashley you are just as wonderful, don't worry :) ). We had pizza and Bon ice cream for dinner and dessert. When you don't have these lovely things at your disposal, you appreciate them so much more...and so we did, maybe even a little too much. We all scarfed down several slices of pizza and ate way too much ice cream, recipe for a stomach ache for us all. But it was delish! Afterwards, we had Katy tell us her life story. We are doing this every week from now on till we go through everyone. You are front and center spilling out all the fun, crazy, sad, and so on details of your whole life. Not going to lie, I am a bit nervous about this, but I am sure when my turn comes around, I will feel very comfortable in telling everyone my crazy life. After the person tells their story, everyone gets to ask questions about anything for 10 minutes. Katy did a great job with her life story because she was personal yet added some great funny touches all throughout it. After all of this, I went upstairs to finish the book A Voice in the Wind I have been reading for the past week. Okay so I am not much of a reader...but this book (and I'm sure the two other to follow it) was amazing. It was not your sugar coated Christian fictional story by any means. It was very descriptive in every part of it, whether dealing with war, romance, or faith. It reminded me of Redeeming Love where you read about a great romance, but that is not truly what the story is about. It has such a deeper meaning that challenges you in your faith, and if you have been in need of a new good series to read (for those of you who finished the Twilight series), go get it! Not gonna lie, I teared at the end of it, yes I just admitted that, but thankfully it's not over :).

I forgot how hard it is to blow up balloons. I mean I can do it, but after a couple, I thought I was going to black out. This is when you realize you are getting old...Friday was los tweems third birthday. Sharla made them a cake pictured above, which they only eat once a year on this special occasion (they are not allowed to eat anything with white sugar in it). At first I felt so deprived for them, but then if you don't know the difference between desserts and dinner, why distinguish that and have them eat something not good for the growth process. In addition, Sharla made them a fort and put on a movie with horses in it/the circus movie, which I think I have memorized. There is one song on it that makes me cringe, just ask Ashley :). Sharla, if you did not already figure out, is my boss in the matching scarf pictured above and is adopting los tweems Isaak and Jakob who live with us. She has been a great mother for them, providing the boys with everything she has and has been so selfless. I hope someday I can be like her when I become a mom...but hopefully that will not be for a long time haha.

For my last and final comment of this blog, I am now officially Kellogg Malkovich according to Anne, my boss in the picture with blond hair, who told us all, "I'm always good with names. I always remember them!" I am not sure where either of those names came from, but it makes me laugh along with the quotes "I always wanted to call her Jackie" and "What's your name?" (as Katy asks her a question. My ice cream almost went up my nose I laughed so hard). Anne is pretty funny, and if you do not know her, I suggest you do...oh wait never mind she does not have facebook because she is scared of it.

Miss everyone more than you know :)
ps the titles of my blogs are now going to be random songs that I like...basically I am not creative enough to come up with title names every week

3 comments:

  1. great choice for the first random song title. i totally approve.

    and know that i will be judging you based on the songs you choose

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you approve...oh btw you are slackin big time on keeping me updated on good music

    ReplyDelete
  3. that gua gua story is funny to me.
    keep pack'n them in...

    ReplyDelete